Monday, October 8, 2007

Details

I recently learned something about myself, I'm a perfectionist. One would not have known that by looking at my room (or my school desk or locker) growing up or by living with me in college.

I have been reading Kevin Leman's The New Birth Order Book, though, and in his chapter on perfectionistic first-borns, I found myself (and my husband, too, much to my [and his] surprise). I'll save the various other specifics as to how I am a perfectionist later, but the one related to this post (and this blog in general) is that I like lists. I like to make lists. I like to check things off of lists. And I like to assign lists to other people, so watch out.

Usually, though, the only people I assign lists to are immediate family members, and usually just the ones younger than me. For several years now, that has been just lesson plan check lists (with boxes for actual checks, of course), which has worked well. What has elluded me, though, has been a system for chores, or "family responsibilities," as we like to call them.

I have recently found what I think, at least in some evolved form, is going to be a good system for our family in the long run. Hum dul Allah (and I really mean that, in case anyone thinks I'm being sacriligeous).

What does this have to do with this blog post? Is it really so important as to be my very first blog post?

Yes, actually it is. It's one of the reasons I finally decided to create a blog, to have a place to share my lists with others! :-/

Seriously, I get asked occasionally for some list or another, some form I've created for schooling or parenting or, well, one of those two things, because those are the things I do.

So, I'm hoping to post those kind of things on this blog so as to be able to refer people to them more easily.

What remains to be seen is whether blogger allows for Word, Excel and/or pdf attachments. If not, I may be searching for a new blog host. If so, I'll be back to put a few things up.

Until then, happy listmaking!

1 comment:

Trish said...

Things I want to tell Cara:

1. Thanks for your nice comments on my blog

2. Nice blog - I'm looking forward to reading more from you. (I was going to say that I didn't know you had a blog, but then I realized it was brand new, so . . .)

3. Congratulations on your new blog!

4. I like lists too. My favorites are grocery lists, though, NOT To-Do lists

5. Bye for now!