Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Miniature Earth - a global village, if you will

I promise not to go video happy on my blog. As I said, I don't often even watch videos on others' blogs, because of download issues/the way it streams.

However (and you knew that was coming, didn't you? [especially since you can see the video below]), I thought some of my readers might find this video interesting. I subscribe to a podcast called "Best of YouTube" (thanks to our friend MV, who came to visit a couple of years ago and introduced us to it, straight from the deserts of N. Africa). Usually, it's stupid pet tricks and stupid human tricks. Often amusing. Every now and then, though, it's something deep and remarkable, like the autistic man who can be flown over a city skyline that he's never seen before, and then reproduce it in detail by hand.

Or a video describing the composition of the world population, if it were represented by a village of 100 people. It's not a new video. The research is from 2000, the video from 2001. I think I remember seeing it way back when. It's still fascinating. And touching. And challenging.

(It was also obviously done by someone with an amazing command of English...for a second language. There are (at least) two errors. Homeschool moms will want to have their children not only watch the video but look for the mistakes. :-P)



Consider this my bonus post for the month of November. I have one/day. Plus one.

No comments: